Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I HAVE BEEN REPLACED!!!

This is not a bad thing.

It's just some interesting (and some a bit worrisome, just not for me) things I noticed since The Move.

Scenario 1:
Who's on Facebook? Well I am, and what seems to be my whole graduating class from High School too. As much of the nation I've been able to connect and talk and share with many old school buddies. Some I've become quite attached to, and that I'm really liking, or knowing more than I ever did in High School.

One couple in particular, who would visit Seattle while I was still there, has just MOVED to Seattle just months after we left. This kind of makes me sad to the fact that we both have small kids and how nice it wold have been to FINALLY have another couple/family to do things with. Even more so is that they like to do the things we like to do! (geocaching anyone?) So I'm a little bummed.

But I didn't like the weather. I needed to move. And you know what? They love it. Which is good. And I just recently found out (Thanks again Facebook) that they used to live in the U.K. so that's a good sign that since they've lived in a similar climate that they will fare just fine. Not to mention they get out and do things, unlike the "locked up in the house" family I had.

So here is my wisdom and something that settles my heart when it hurts from missing Seattle:
We left Seattle and left an empty spot that is now fill with the same size family that will love it and appreciate it much more than I ever did.

I feel better now.



Scenario 2:
UH OH. This is my own personal "Uh Oh". When I moved to Seattle there was a circle of friends of Rod's that welcomed me with open arms. They always welcome everyone with open arms. I did try to stay with the group and as personable as possible - but with the majority of them I don't know if I ever really fit.

So I left, and there's a "spot" left in Seattle again.

They have a nice guy (great guy) in the group. And he's fallen in love with a special girl. I only met her once or twice, but she seemed nice, yet really quiet. She has moved to Seattle for love. Same reason I did. It took her a while because of work circumstances to get there, but she made it. Something in me felt she didn't really want to leave where she lived. Which is Georgia.

I love Georgia. I've mentioned many times that I want to retire there. All warm and toasty and historical and sunny. Did I mention sunny?

I'm worried for her. I moved from a very sunny city to Seattle and had a horrible transition that slowly drove me into a depression. Upon research on the internet, I find that around year 3, a sunny weather transplant starts to show signs of trouble. That's when you just feel "done with it". And it was true for me - I hit year three and went "LEAVE NOW!" I wanted to dry out. I was growing moss.

I'm worried for her. My "spot" was a difficult one. Luckily she doesn't have kids so the weather and the transition to get to know the place is easier, but I really want her to know the warning signs in case they happen.

I had a talk with the nice guy. And by the time year 5 hit, and we were finally moving, I was a crazy person. No one likes to hear about how much someone hates your city that you love. And the Nice Guy LOVES Seattle. Most people were tired of hearing me lament on about my depression and my tribulations and how I needed to leave. But of course none of them really made me feel as though what I was saying was important.

I was trying to convey "HEY PEOPLE, I am suicidal because of this weather...HELP!" - but no one understood the magnitude. I was just a pain in the ass.

Please Circle of Friends, watch her, protect her. I am worried about her, don't let it get bad like mine did. Mine was a "spot" I don't want filled because it came with too many hurdles and emotional needs.

No comments: