Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My friend John

I went back to the university this quarter after taking four blissful quarters off. I really do have big time burn out - this masters which for a full time student should take 2 years, is going to take me nearly 8 years... yup, you heard right - 8 years. I'm in year 5.

I love going to Seattle U, but it's getting old. Or I'm getting old. I just want to be done with it now. Geez. And I have a million other things to do. Here I'm with other students who are swamped with classes, granted, but I need to leave to just : Go to the grocery store. Most are business people like me, but most are also men too. The "women" are at home taking care of kids, if they even have any kids. I also seem to be the oldest person in class.

Except for John. When I started at Seattle U - I was in a bunch of core classes that the MBA students take too. That's where I met my friend John. I'd say he's in his mid forties - and a jolly kind of guy. But his kids are grown - in their late teens I think. So he's got time now then before when they were little....(you mean I get more time back for myself when they grow up some??)

Anyway, I only saw John periodically once the MBA classes completed for me in my degree (MSF). But I saw him this quarter when I went back. It's his last class! He was doing the 8 year plan like me too! And he's finally on his last class! Good Job John!

But he's the only face left that I knew from the original days. Everyone else has finished their degrees and they are off and running... with Laura lagging behind.

Well, I'll show them! :)

I'm going to finish this darn degree (one day), but I'm going to really miss my friend John. Even though we only ever talked about our Business Ethics class.

1 comment:

Lily said...

I'm sure as a mom it's always nice to find other parents going back to school, too. I have an acquaintance who is in his early 40s and who has a kid, but he only sees them half the time as he's going through a heavy divorce...poor guy. But he's always making comments that he feels he's the only father or that he's the oldest (not the case - there are other older people in our class). Anyway, perhaps there should be an organization of some sort..."moms and dads back in school" or something.

Keep on keepin' on Laura! :-) You can do it!