Monday, October 20, 2008

The Great Perfume Scavenger Hunt

RATING: St. John by St. John


2 and half bottles


EEEEP
! I've dove into the perfume industry head first.

I went to two Nordstroms this weekend, and got a few samples. (I've also Ebayed a couple too, because I didn't get what I truly wanted) So I now have a running list of perfumes to smell, try on my skin, and then if I like it - get samples. I'm learning more about which notes I like and the industry's lingo and perfume houses.

At Nordstrom I was telling the SA (acronym lingo for Sales Associate) that I was looking for a dramatic perfume, not everyday that was NOT spicy. I don't like spicy, I think those heavy with patchouli are thick, heavy and the kind of perfume where if you get stuck in the elevator with a woman wearing it, it's so overpowering you want to gag. But maybe I just need to learn to wear a strong perfume....I digress.

So this week I'm trying out St. John by St. John. Which I had never heard of, but I guess it's a fancy schmancy clothier. Very high end stuff, and a high end perfume. I find out all kinds of stuff like, their model was Angelina Jolie, and that it's actually a re-make of their fragrance from 10 years ago. Supposedly with a twist to make it more modern.

Anyway, here's the scoop on it:

St. John has launched an updated version of their eponymous 1994 fragrance:
Introducing St. John—a charming new twist on a timeless classic. The Signature fragrance first reveals notes of tangerine that flawlessly blend the delicate impression of marigold and freesia. The fragrance evolves with the intoxicating notes of white rose, night blooming jasmine and apricot. Finally, the base notes emerge, exuding a creamy warmth combining sandalwood, vanilla and amber. Indulge in the ultimate expression of refinement and luxury.


Okay, it's a bit poofy. I'm going to stick with talking about the dry down, and basenotes only, since I'm at work, and will be sniffing here. First off, it's STRONG. I thought in the morning, oh gosh, I'm going to smell like a puff ball all day. But it's calmed down, and is now a light fragrance. Definitely older, definitely more refined/sophisticated. I would say I'd use it in a board meeting, or out on the town, if I was in a limo or dressed up. It's not very everyday, which is good, but it's more for an elegant evening, not a hot date!

I love freesia, and I can smell it - but it is intertwined with the vanilla. Not my favorite scent. The vanilla does make it a creamy scent but not a very warm scent. It's warmness is middle of the road, so I bet you could wear this year round, at any gala! :)

So Day One: It's nice, and it will be nice to have it on hand. I might give this another day or two - but not the whole week. And it's not making me say "Wow!" like I wish a $155 bottle would. Speaking of the bottle - it is a GORGEOUS bottle. And I'm quite drawn to it.

No comments: